WSOA Resident & Fellow Abstract Submission Guidelines
All Residents and Fellows currently in training in the state of Washington are cordially invited to participate in the 2020 Washington State Orthopaedic Foundation Research Awards. Residents/fellows with the top eight (8) rated abstracts will be invited to present a five (5) minute PowerPoint presentation during the Annual Meeting on Thursday, September 17, 2020 via Zoom. The $500 first-place award will be selected from these presentations and will be presented to the winner following the meeting.
All residents and fellows, whether or not they are presenting, are encouraged to attend the virtual annual meeting.
- The abstract is to be an original, unpublished work, based on a research project, that the resident/fellow has participated in, relevant to the field of orthopaedic surgery. See instruction 3c below.
- Include on the Abstract the following fields:
- TITLE: 300 character limit
- INTRODUCTION: clearly state the background of the problem and purpose of the study
- METHODS: provide a description of what was performed, including study design
- RESULTS: report the findings of the study
- CONCLUSION: based upon the findings and relate to the stated purpose of the study
- Submit a separate Title Page with the following information:
- TITLE: 300 character limit
- AUTHORS: Indicate the name, degree, mailing address, email address, phone number, and institution for the corresponding author. Indicate the name, degree, institution, and email address of all co-authors.
- Please notify the WSOA if this information changes after submission.
- A member of WSOA must be listed as one of the authors.
- A resident or fellow must be listed as one of the authors.
- Authors may not be added to the manuscript after acceptance.
- Financial disclosure for the corresponding author must be up-to-date by abstract submission. If accepted, the disclosure form for all authors must be up-to-date.
- PUBLICATION STATUS: The abstract is to be on original, unpublished work. All authors must indicate the publication status of their project. Papers that have been previously published are ineligible. Papers that have been submitted for publication but will remain unpublished prior to the date of the Annual Meeting are eligible. If a paper is accepted but is subsequently found to have been published before the Annual Meeting, the Program Committee has the right to withdraw the paper.
- ABSTRACT WORD COUNT: 400 word limit
- Up to three tables or figures may accompany the abstract. These are not included in the word count. These should be submitted as separate PDFs to avoid formatting error. As these are submitted separately, please include on these the title of the abstract.
- If the abstract is selected for the annual meeting, it must be presented by a resident or fellow author of the manuscript. (Rare exceptions may be made with permission given ahead of time by the Program Committee.)
- The WSOA reserves the right to withdraw a presentation at any time.
- Acceptance and rejection letters and all future correspondence will be emailed to the Corresponding Author listed on the abstract Title Page no later than August 31, 2020.
- How to submit: Please upload a completed submission (Abstract, Title Page, and relevant figures/tables) using the form below by the deadline of July 31, 2020. Late submissions may be considered but this is not guaranteed.
- If you have any questions or issues please contact Emily Jones, WSOA Executive Director, at email@example.com.
- The top eight (8) rated abstracts will be invited to present at the Annual Meeting on Thursday, September 17 via Zoom.
- Presentations are limited to five (5) minutes. There will be additional time for questions.
- Presentations must include a disclosure slide.
- Instructions on uploading presentations for the Zoom meeting will be provided in the acceptance letter.
- Presentations should be on Microsoft PowerPoint. Arial and Helvetica fonts are recommended for clarity and compatibility. Confirm a font size of AT LEAST 24 points for body text and 36-40 points for headings. Light colored text on a dark background is advised. Avoid using red or green. Confirm that the maximum number of lines in text slides is no more than 7. For images, we recommend a .jpg format with 800-600 pixels and compression setting of 8 (high quality).